Solar Oven



Recently we were given two wooden boxes.  I was using them to store potatoes and onions but found that the potatoes were sprouting quite quickly so decided to take it down to the farm and convert it into a solar oven.  We used foil insulation to cover the lid and the inside.  On top we used a glass and wooden frame from a picture frame.  Because this was bigger than the box we covered the edge with the silver foil as well.  I placed a lid from a camp oven which is black.  You need to use black pots and trays as these will attract the most heat. I placed the oven on the deck facing the sun and waited for it to preheat.  I didn't have a thermometer with me on the farm so didn't know what temperature it was reaching.  I then made a batch of scones and placed them on a tray on the lid.  It took about an hour for them to cook and then I finished them off to brown them in the little electric oven.  I had to wipe the glass quite a few times as it kept on gathering condensation.  I have since learned from watching a video on Youtube that if you lift the glass slightly this will let the steam out and also brown what you are cooking.  I will let you know in posts to come how I go with that.

Comments

Popular Posts